Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Colonial Style (Cuenca)
Some of you know that at the end of this month I am going to my native country, Ecuador. I want to show off a little bit of my beautiful country and the city where I grew up. (Cuenca)
Quick Facts about Ecuador:
* Is in South America, between Colombia and Perú.
* Includes the Galápagos Islands that for its great variety of species, Ecuador is one of the top 18 megadiverse countries in the world.
* There is great variety in the climate, largely determined by altitude. The Pacific coastal area has a tropical climate, The climate in the Andean highlands is temperate and relatively dry; and the Amazon shares the climate of other rain forest zones.
Quick facts about Cuenca:
* It is located in the Andean highlands of Ecuador at about 8200 ft above sea level.
* The center of the city is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Trust site for its historical buildings.
* Cuenca has a long lasting reputation for being a university city. It hosts eight universities (417,632 inhabitants)
I can't wait to go back!